A Content Overview – How to Write a Review
By Felicity Kay
Can you even remember the last time you tried out a new service or product without reading an online review? We’re guessing it was a long time ago. Recent studies have found that 92% of consumers read online reviews before making a purchase.
This is a scary statistic for business owners, but it’s great if you’re a consumer. Nowadays you can shop boldly without fear, knowing you’re in safe hands because the internet told you so.
But, how do you write a great review, one that gives readers a proper understanding of the product?
All About Reviews
A review should be a clear, concise breakdown of the product. Reviews shouldn’t be overly formal or lengthy; instead, you should use a coherent, conversational tone. Break up the text with H2s and H3s, and make sure to address the reader and share your personal feelings about the product. Keep it short, sweet and to the point.
Some of the most important details to include in a review are :
- What the product is/does
- Who the product is for
- Why people need it
- If the product is worth the money
It’s also important to highlight how the product compares to its competitors. Explain to your readers why you think they should/shouldn’t buy a rival product instead.
Best Practices for Writing Reviews
When writing a review, remember the customer is relying on you to give the most accurate and honest review of the product. In fact, over 80% of consumers trust online reviews as much as recommendations from friends.
These are some of the best practices for writing a great review:
- Research the product thoroughly: You can’t write a decent review if you aren’t very familiar with the product. Find out everything there is to know about the product and make sure to use it yourself before sharing your opinion with others.
- Include a summary: Online shoppers don’t always have the time to read through an entire review. Include a small summary which highlights your key points and overall feelings about the product.
- Use a consistent rating system: If you’re writing reviews for lots of similar products, then use a set template. This way, all your reviews will have a consistent format and it’s very easy for readers to compare and contrast rival products from different companies.
- Identify the pros and cons: A great feature of good reviews is a pros and cons chart. This makes it very clear to the reader exactly what the positives and negatives are and it’s really useful for comparing similar products
- Use a template: Create a rating system based on whatever metrics you think are suitable, then use it for all your reviews. Having a consistent rating system is incredibly useful for comparing products and for understanding your overall impression of the product.
- Be balanced: Even if the product is great, don’t go over the top. Likewise, even if the product is awful, don’t trash it completely. Try to be as balanced as possible while still informing the reader whether they should or shouldn’t buy the product.
- Write for your target audience: It’s always a good idea to adjust your writing style based on who’s reading it. Identify the age, gender, purchasing power etc. of your audience and make sure your review targets them specifically.
Common Mistakes in Writing Reviews
- Copying other reviews: No-one likes a copycat! Try to come up with fresh, original ideas and insights about the product and new ways to express them.
- Being too vague: Customers don’t want vague and ambiguous product reviews, they want details. Make sure to include everything you can about the product.
- Not mobile-friendly: In 2018, this is an almost unforgivable mistake. Over 50% of people use their mobile to read reviews, so make sure your page is mobile friendly or you will lose readers.
All This Content’s Review-Writing Secrets
It can be tricky trying to get your first review right, what with so much to take in: so, let us do the hard work for you! Tell us the product or service you need reviewing, and hey presto: we’ll send you back a highly converting review! Get in touch today, for converting reviews tomorrow.
Take Your Content to the Next Level
Bella's just upped her content game...
Discover the 4 quick, easy content updates you need to ramp up your revenue, boost your lead gen and supersize your sales in this FREE, epic ebook!
*Bella not included